07 August 2012
Building Strong Mobile Relationships with Push Notifications
One of the most appealing features of a Mobile App is the push notification. Push notifications, similar to an SMS arrive on the mobile device alerting your customers. These notifications can be used in different ways depending on your App and your users' needs, e.g. customer service alerts, new content notices, breaking news, reminders and/or location-specific alerts. This direct relationship is a marketer’s dream but there are rules and best practices that need to be considered to attain the best results.
Brent Hieggelke from MarketingProfs describes the approach as a "Bill of Rights of sorts for customers who have trusted you by opting in to receive your messages" which includes the following items:
- Users should be able to select which times in the day they would like to receive push notifications and even “do not disturb” times
- Sending push messages to segments and targeted users is a great way to keep your customers engaged with relevant content
- Allow your customers to select the types of push messages they would like to receive (e.g. Broadcast messages, Events, news, etc.). Giving control to your customers will provide them with the content that they are interested in
- Provide a consistent message to your audience that complements your brand
- Stand out from the crowd, provide entertaining messages that will engage your audience
- Learn from your push messages. Use analytical tools like Flurry to understand what percentage of people have viewed and opened your app as a result of your push messages
If you would like to learn more about how Push Notifications can improve your mobile offering or even how a mobile offering can benefit your business, [link id='965' text='contact us'] today. We would be happy to guide you through this new medium of customer engagement.