In this In this episode of the DevReady Podcast, hosts Andrew Romeo and Anthony Sapountzis talk to Mark McCormack , Co-Founder, Design Posse. Mark has had a pretty long and eventful career, from being in a cover band to designing digital strategies for various advertising agencies to supporting start-ups and innovation in entertainment related technology—he has surely done it all.
Call him a musician, call him a technologist, or call him a Young Achiever as he was, after all, the runner up in the Young Achievers Competition—that being his first foray into the world and marketing and interviews. That, as they say, was only the start to his rather illustrious career.
Being driven by ambition and being creative to his core were elemental in his success and also the growth of the companies that he worked with and founded over decades. Being a strong advocate of experiences shaping one’s perspective, he took chances and was willing to see beyond the obvious. That’s what led his company to be the pioneer in java script tags.
Having worked in different industries, Mark strongly believes that two things are key to success in any industry, no matter how disruptive a product or service is:
1. Ability to build networks
2. Ability to solve a problem
· Moving into the Software Industry from Music
· Struggles of being the Pioneer in Any Field
· Educating Customers
· Taking Risks
· Building Networks
· Solving Problems
Key Quotes (Time Stamps)
“Democratization, connecting of the market to people is a massive game changer.” (8:18 – 18:24)
· “Nothing happens in the world till something is sold.” (10:54 – 10:56)
· “Whether it is your vision or the vision of the product: about how it solves problems, saves time and money and pain, why it is better than the others…You’re evangelizing.” (24:34 – 24:49)
Social Media Clips (Time Stamps)
· Struggles in the Pioneering Education Phase (22:34 – 23:46)
· Educating the Customers (23:51 – 24:57)
· Building Relationships and Networks and Solve Problems (46:54 – 47:42)